Distance Control on Bunker Shots
With every golf shot you play; you control the distance of the stroke by the length of the backswing. Just as you would do if you were throwing a ball. But, to every rule there is an exception. In this case it is the greenside bunker shot. Now, I am very strongly of the opinion that there are 3 levels of ambition when it comes to competence in greenside bunker play:
1 – Get out
2 – Get out and on the green
3 – Get out, on the green and near the pin.
If you are in the first 2 categories, then my advice is keep practicing your bunker play. But if you want to move up to level 3, then here is the tip on how to control the length of the greenside bunker shot.
– Short distance shot by achieving a short follow through
– Medium distance shot by achieving a medium length follow through
– Long distance shot by achieving a longer follow through.
Watch the professionals on the world tours and you’ll see how the length of their follow through mirrors the the distance required for a greenside bunker shot. It’s not easy, so get out there are start experimenting.
Getting out the bunker is priority number one, but work on this tip and you’ll soon be pin high.
By Jon Woodroffe – Master Professional, World of Golf London
- Taking aim is not difficult
- Prize Draw: Win a brand new set of irons!
- Stay in the moment, not in the scorecard
- Distance Control on Bunker Shots
- Let the ladies take centre stage: Solheim Cup 2019
- Jurassic Encounter Winter Passes now available
- Look at the hole when practising your putts
- A glorious win for the whole of Ireland
- The centre of contact
- Prize Draw: Win the Driver of your choice